≡ Menu

Tax Rebates for PA Elderly, Low Income Families.

Tax rebates help.

Tax rebates help.

The people who need this information probably won’t see it on this website or in email.  Please print it out and pass it on to anyone you think may qualify (see the 2nd paragraph to learn who qualifies).  It’s up to us to keep our community healthy.  Let’s look out for each other, especially our elderly.  You can slip it in their mailbox or on their car windshield if you want to remain anonymous.

Property Tax/Rent Rebate deadline approaching

The application deadline for Pennsylvania’s Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program is Dec. 31. The program provides rebates for qualifying Pennsylvanians on the previous year’s property taxes or rent paid based on last year’s income. The program ending on Dec. 31 applies to income for 2007.

To be eligible for the program, you must be 65 or older, a widow or widower 50 or older, or 18 or older with a permanent disability. To qualify for a rebate, your household income if you are a homeowner must be $35,000 or less; if you rent, your household income must be $15,000 or less. You only have to count half of your gross Social Security or federal railroad retirement Tier 1 benefits when calculating your income; all other sources of income must be claimed in full.

Rebates range from $250 to up to $650. However, some low-income homeowners who pay a high proportion of their income in property taxes can receive a supplemental amount included in their rebate check. That amount is automatically calculated during processing by the Department of Revenue.

Applications are available in my district office. My staff would be happy to assist applicants with completing the necessary paperwork; please contact my office at 610-789-3900.

via email from State Rep Greg Vitali

Comments on this entry are closed.

  • Kim Anderson 23 December 2011, 4:51 pm

    Does this apply for Pennsylvania only, and if not what other states are included.

    • PurpleCar 23 December 2011, 5:03 pm

      Forward a copy of the blog post to your representative and ask. All states have similar programs. Good luck.